Saturday, February 1, 2020

Philly Fighters Shine in Latest Installment of Xcite Fight Night

By Matt Ward, Ringside

Joe Hand Promotions in conjunction with Peltz Boxing Promotions and BAM Boxing Promotions returned to the Xcite Center at Parx Casino for the sixth installment of Xcite Fight Night. The full house of fight fans were treated to an entertaining night of boxing featuring a number of Philadelphia area boxers.

The main event featured an eight round bout in the lightweight division between Victor Padilla (8-0, 7 KOs) and Israel Suarez-Olmeda (4-8-3, 1 KO).  This fight failed to live up to expectations as Suarez-Olmeda did not survive the first round of the contest. Suarez-Olmeda, who fought Gervonta Davis in 2015, was knocked down by Padilla, a southpaw prospect from Camden, in the opening frame. Despite recovering from this early meeting with the canvas, Suarez-Olmeda looked like a scared and dazed man for his final seconds in the bout. Another hard left hand to the head by Padilla ended Suarez-Olmeda's night at the 2:46 mark of the first round. Referee Gary Rosato, seeing the writing on the wall, stepped in to prevent any further damage to the Puerto Rican southpaw who has now not won a fight since 2011. Padilla has now won two fights in a row by technical knockout.

Wise Came to Fight

In the junior middleweight division, Isaiah Wise (8-2-2, 5 KOs), Philadelphia, faced off against Enver Halili (10-3, 3 KOs), the Bronx, in a bout that was scheduled for six rounds. Both men looked to bounce back in their professional campaigns with a victory on Friday night, however, it was Wise who got the "W." Wise, who looked to be in excellent fighting shape, landed big left hands to Halili's head and body in the opening round. A hard Wise left hand to the head scored a knockdown against Halili during this frame. As the round neared its end, Wise landed hammering right hooks to Halili's head. Halili stumbled backwards, but managed to stay on his feet as the bell marking the end of the round rang. A brutal right hand from Wise at the 1:27 mark of the second round sealed the TKO victory for the 27-year-old Philadelphian. 

The Fight of the Night 

Those who witnessed the spectacle of fisticuffs that was Christopher Burgos (3-4-1, 1 KO) vs. Sheldon Deverteuil (2-1-2) last night should all agree that this was the fight of the night, and a clear front runner for "Philadelphia Fight of the Year." In this bout, two journeymen caliber fighters stepped into the ring to put on a show full of offensive fireworks for an appreciative crowd. As soon as the bell rang starting the six round lightweight contest, Burgos moved forward aggressively, effectively using the right hand to pound away at Deverteuil. Despite walking down and landing big shots on Deverteuil throughout the first and second rounds, Deverteuil refused to play the part of the victim in this all-North Philly classic. As Burgos landed punches, Deverteuil fired back on all cylinders in what became a slug fest from start to finish. 

At some points in the third round, it appeared that the fighters were going punch-for-punch. Deverteuil lost his mouthpiece twice during this round as his momentum appeared to slow down. In the fourth, Burgos was again Deverteuil's stalker. As Burgos landed shots on Deverteuil, he became the recipient of effective counterpunches from his opponent. 

The fifth round was highlighted by big right and left hands to the body by both fighters. The round ended with both men putting their heads together, in a telephone booth style exchange, to pound away at one another's heads and bodies. To the amazement of this writer, both men stayed on their feet! The sixth and final round opened with a continuation of the close combat that ended the fifth. The only pause to the action in this contest came in the final ten seconds of the bout when both men coasted to the final bell. Rightfully so, the crowd roared with approval as both men and their corners embraced following the ring war. All three judges scored the bout 59-55 for the winner by unanimous decision, Christopher Burgos.

Tyhler Emerges Winner of All-Williams Bout

In an all-Philly and all-Williams matchup, Tyhler Williams (4-0, 3 KOs) continued his winning ways as a professional by defeating the 45-year-old Demetris Williams (1-7) by TKO. In the opening round, Tyhler put his speed on display. Demetris, overwhelmed by a barrage of straight right and left hands, desperately tried to escape the onslaught by backpedaling into the ropes, but was unable to escape the non-stop pressure. The referee saw enough of the junior welterweight beat down at 1:48 of the first round. 

Son of a Philly Legend Wins Pro Debut

Charles Brewer, Jr. (1-0, 1 KO) and Kyl Fritz (0-1) both made their professional debuts last night in Bensalem. Brewer, the son of former middleweight world champion Charles Brewer, was escorted to the ring in front of a roaring crowd by his father-trainer. Fritz, of Phoenix, AZ, landed two nice straight right hands to the head of Brewer in the first round. Brewer, clearly having a case of the butterflies, fought very cautiously in the first round against his awkward stanced and taller opponent. Appearing more comfortable and adjusted to Fritz in the second round, Brewer pummeled his opponent into a neutral corner with multiple left and right hooks. Referee Shawn Clark saw enough of the beat down at 1:17 of the second round, and waived off the fight to the protest of Fritz, who at this point, appeared to still have some fight left in him. 

Taylor Sent to the Showers Early by Stevens 

In cruiserweight action, David Stevens (3-0, 2 KO) made quick work of Tahlik Taylor (3-13-1, 1 KO). Taylor was down early in the first round after being slammed by a Stevens' left hook to the head. Taylor recovered from the knockdown but was on very shaky legs. Stevens, smelling blood in the water, used the same punch he had success with seconds earlier to end the evening's work early at 1:02 of the opening frame. 

Atoev Cruises to Four Round Victory

The card opened up with a four round super featherweight bout between Shakhzod Atoev (1-0) and Juan Ibarra (0-3). Atoev answered the bell teeing off on Ibarra, who was visibly hurt from the shots. Atoev landed a hard right uppercut that snapped Ibarra's head back. Despite Atoev's low guard for most of the fight, Ibarra was unable to land any meaningful shots. As the second round progressed, Atoev pushed Ibarra into a neutral corner with hard straight right and left hands

In the third round, Atoev continued to control the pace of the fight, but was unable to land the big punch that would have honored the repeated requests of his corner to "finish him." Atoev landed several big left hands to the head and body of Ibarra in the fourth round. Ibarra responded by pushing Atoev into the ropes with shots that had little to no effect on his opponent. Atoev, confident he was ahead on cards, began to deliberately wind up on uppercuts as the fourth round neared its end. All three judges scored the bout 40-36 in favor of Atoev.  

Image may contain: possible text that says 'JOE HAND XCITE FIGHT NIGHT 6'

Support The Weigh-In: Your Home for Combat Sports by Shopping World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) Products!

No comments:

Post a Comment